Every Coffey relationship is built on trust.
Trust that’s hard-earned through our proven expertise, our depth of global experience and our commitment to stay one step ahead.
Our specialists in geoservices, international development and project management work in partnership with our clients across the globe.
We create value throughout the asset lifecycle in the transport and property infrastructure, and energy and resources, sectors.
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience8 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Nigeria Policing Programme
Nigeria Policing Programme (NPP) is a 29 month, £4.2 million national programme funded by Her Majesty’s Government’s (HMG), Conflict, Security and Stabilisation Fund (CSSF). Its aim is to improve delivery of safety and security by the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) in target states, and strengthen internal and external accountability mechanisms in support of this. NPP is a national programme that will target its work in selected localities where the political imperative for improved NPF delivery is high. To this effect NPP has started its work in Borno State looking at local level policing capacity, building on this to support the NPF at the State and Federal levels to become an effective and primary provider of safety and security nationwide. We expect the programme to expand into another two states over the coming 12 months.
One of NPPs core objectives is to strengthen existing accountability mechanisms, internal and external to the NPF, at the local, state and federal levels. At present mechanism are disjointed, ineffective and in many cases inaccessible to ordinary people and many NPF officers. NPP will be focusing on three types of support to these accountability institutions:
- Strategic support including articulating mandates and governance structures;
- Systems re-engineering to improve the accessibility and effectiveness of targeted mechanisms;
- Improved information dissemination and awareness raising of their services
- Facilitation of improved coherence and coordination between these mechanisms, and where appropriate the NPF
- The ultimate intention is to improve the capability, reliability and integrity of these institutions and improve public and administrative perceptions of them. Performance against this result will be measured.
Role of the Institutional Development Manager
- The Nigerian, Abuja based Institutional Development Manager (IDM) will work closely with the National Policing Manager (NPM), Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager (MELM) and Programme Manager (PM) under the Technical Direction of the Team Leader (TL). They will be responsible for contributing to, and in some instances leading; the design, delivery, monitoring, evaluation and continual improvement of institutional development aspects of NPPs work programme. The IDM will be responsible for:
- Scoping, designing, planning and delivering multi-disciplinary interventions in pursuit of the NPPs objectives, with the NPM, MELM and PM under direction of TL;
- Effectively managing key relations whilst navigating the political economy of the situation and remaining focused on the objectives of the programme;
- Engaging with senior and middle manager civil servants, NPF, CSOs/NGOs, communities and being a key-point person for the programme’s engagement on accountability issues;
- Facilitating workshops for multiple purposes including problem identification, developing collaborative solutions and business process re-design;
- Designing, delivering and/or managing capacity building activities/workstreams;
- Participating in, and/or leading political economy analysis;
- Conducting clearly articulated and focused institutional assessments with clear and realistic recommendations
- Managing the delivery of institutional development against endorsed recommendations
- Management of activities and where appropriate whole interventions;
- Design, commissioning and management of sub-contracted discrete inputs or longer-term delivery partners;
- Producing high quality reports for multiple audiences;
- Actively participating in, contributing to and being responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning of activities, interventions and the wider programme;
- Completing management monitoring reports;
- Contributing to Programme level reporting for the client;
- Participating in monthly workplanning and forecasting meetings and reviews;
- Participating in management meetings;
- Representing NPP and Coffey International with integrity and professionalism;
- Complying with Coffey and NPP management practices and operating procedures.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Dynamic and quick thinker with an ability to think innovatively and establish new ways of doing things, whilst capturing and applying learning;
- Self-starter that uses their initiative and provides solutions to problems;
- Team worker that can bring people together and take people with them. Is able think strategically whilst thinking practically about implementation;
- Ability to work in a small team, with a strong sense of personal accountability;
- Willing to meets personal administration needs –such as printing and filing.
Reporting Lines and Key Internal Relationships
- The IDM will report to the Team Leader.
- The IDM will work in close partnership with National Policing Manager, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager and the Programme Manager.
- The IDM will have line management, and matrix management responsibilities of remotely based team members.
- The IDM will be Abuja based, but expected to conduct inter-state travel, including to Maiduguri.
- University Degree in a relevant field (Change Management, Public Administration, Institutional Development, etc.).
- A strong understanding of the political economy of the Nigerian security architecture
- Excellent and proven experience and understanding of Nigerian security architecture, the NPF and its associated accountability mechanisms.
- 8 year’s work experience in a related field.
- Proven experience in delivering institutional change initiatives.
- Proven experience and skills in facilitation and relationship management.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of the principles of Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation (PDIA) and its application to programme design and management
- Experience of working within the Nigerian security sector
- Strong, demonstrable experience and knowledge of institutional development, public sector reform, public administration, or similar fields is also preferred.
Interested and qualified? Go to Coffey International Development career website on careers.coffey.com to apply